Graphic Design Class
How to Visually Communicate a Message
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." -Steve Jobs
Week 1: January 27-31,2020
- Download the textbook HERE
- READ & Sign the Syllabus HERE
- Classroom Expectations: No Phones, No Music, No watching television online. Deadlines are absolute.
This class is all about total immersion in Graphic Design. The learning goes way beyond this one semester class, so pay attention and improve your design skills. Learning software is one thing...it's how you use it to inspire & inform that will get you the job. Meeting deadlines is required- just like in the industry, NO LATE work is accepted-ever.
- Key Skills:
- Designing for a variety of audiences and needs
- Problem solving that helps support multiple perspectives
- The design process and effective communication
- Technical skills with industry-standard design software
Assignment 1: Type Only Poster Due Friday, Feb 7
We might as well dive right-in. You are going to use Photoshop, InDesign (recommended), or Illustrator to create a poster using type only to communicate. You may also use lines, shapes and color, but no images of any kind.
- BEFORE you start the software, read, watch and learn about type, layout, & color by visiting every site listed below.
- What is Typography?
- 50 Top Type Tutorials - check it out - you don't need to watch all the videos, you can definitely pick-up a lot of knowledge by spending time on this page.
- If you are going to understand Typography, you need to know a little bit about its history.
- Typography in ten minutes
- Practice Kerning Game
- Type War Game
- Watch the 3 videos below:
- Go to this website for a quick review on COLOR
- Go HERE for access to color schemes. I use them all the time.
- Visit this page and REALLY SPEND SOME SERIOUS TIME EXPLORING, because there is a wealth of information: color palette websites, and especially check-out the infographic on the right.
- 19 Graphic Design Mistakes that Novice Designers Make
- Finally, download the instruction sheet HERE.
- Rubric HERE. Read it, it will help you understand what is important in a type-only poster