Graphic Design Class
How to Visually Communicate a Message
This semester we will work on some great projects using Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign.
Above are Links to Adobe Tutorials for Each Program
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Week 7: October 14-18, 2019
Keep active with your Photoshop skills. Go to the Photoshop page and do the Week 7 assignment
. Show the beginning students how it's done!
Week 6: October 7-11, 2019
There are 124 ACA Photoshop videos to watch. There are approximately 30 class sessions left in the semester. If you are behind in your learning you need to watch at least 4 videos per day to stay on track!
Check out the GAG website (click on the logo below) and the AIGA website
Week 5: September 30 - October 4, 2019
Are you working on the logo ideas? Let me know what you're doing!
Week 4: September 23-27, 2019
Look at the Assignment below! I need to see sketches by the end of this week. After conferring with me, you will use Illustrator
to build three
of the logo choices. I highly recommend viewing Von Glitschka.
Logos are NOT created in Photoshop. They are created with vector tools, and Illustrator is what is used.
Illustrator is all about the Pen tool! You must learn how to use it! Do ALL of the exercises HERE
and show me your completed final screen to earn 50 points.
Week 3: September 16-20, 2019
Time to make a new logo for a famous local restaurant (fictional): The Fish Factory. Their sign (above) does not do justice to this exceptional restaurant, which is packed with customers every night. They desperately need a new look!
Do not go on the computer until you have done AT LEAST 20 sketches. Show me your sketches for 20 points. Look at the books that I have on logo design. Logo design is about so much more than a pretty picture. Do the research and learn as much as you can BEFORE you start! Carefully study the RUBRIC
and it will help you understand what is expected.
to get ideas
Nice commentary on logo design by fellow Adobe Education Leader, Kevin McMahon: HERE
Week 2: September 9-13, 2019
Continue watching the videos. If you need a break, take a look at the latest issue of Create Magazine
. You will be amazed at what you can make with Adobe software!
Week 1: September 4-6, 2019
3 THINGS DUE AT THE END OF THE WEEK:
SYLLABUS SIGNED, ONLINE SURVEYS, LIST OF 3 DESIGNERS TO FOLLOW AND WHY
What does a Graphic Designer do?
Graphic designers create visual concepts, using computer software (or by hand), to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. They develop the overall layout and production design for applications such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and reports.
How much does a Graphic Designer earn?
for the most recent study.
If you are registered for this class, please know that you must have experience using one or more of the following programs: Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign. The projects we will do will sometimes call for using all three programs!
This is a project-based class. You will be tackling design tasks that professionals do every day.
You can access the curriculum plan HERE
- Lab Rules
- No food EVER near the computers. If you must eat, then eat in the space provided next to the wide-format printer. Clean-up after yourself.
- Absolutely NO chips, Cheetohs, Doritos, or any nasty-orange dust covered snacks. NEVER.
- NO GUM.
- NO PHONES under any circumstances. You have enough technology on the computers to challenge and occupy your mind - do not waste it on texting. If I see a phone out, you MUST surrender it to me. No negotiations, no excuses. I have heard every excuse possible. Failure to comply with this rule results in serious consequences.
- The Design Process
- Do NOT become attached to your first idea. You need to explore many ideas in order to find the best solution to a problem. Designers ALWAYS do thumbnail sketches to quickly get ideas down on paper.
- Learn more about the design process HERE - from the Design Dojo. Excellent designer, teacher, and former Olympian.
The Importance of Thumbnail Sketches
Preparing Final Art
- There are many steps before completion of the final art, but just so you can see what you will eventually be doing, watch below.
DAY 1 Activity
- One of the key skills all designers must develop is a sensitivity to and awareness of the activity in the larger design community. Find and follow at least 2 designers (via Behance, Instagram, or Pinterest) who you find inspiring. Using whatever word processing program you wish, write their names, website addresses, and why you picked them.
Week 2: September 9-13, 2019
- A brief list of careers in
graphic design includes:
- Advertising (promotional) design
- book design
- book jacket design
- brand and identity design
- corporate communication design
- editorial design
- interactive (experience) design
- information design
- motion design
- package design
- publication design
- retail design
- wayfinding design
- AIGA "Types of Design Practice" with Different careers briefly explained. Excellent.
- SEE a more comprehensive list HERE
Beyond these more traditional roles, designers are finding their creative problem solving and communication skills in demand in a growing list of industries, including government and public policy, insurance, health care, architecture, environmental services, and engineering. Graphic design is a competitive and ever-evolving profession that offers an expanding and rewarding number of career paths to the curious, determined, and hard working.