Freshmen Cohort is designed as a class for incoming freshmen to bolster skills related to math and ELA literacy, academic vocabulary building, and college/career readiness. Students will complete the freshmen portion of CIS portfolios as part of this class. Additionally, students will have a check-in every Wednesday to conduct school communications, check and record grades in planners, note any missing or make-up work needed in planner, and organize personal schedules and materials. Students are required to stay on campus during this time. If all work is caught up, studying or silent reading is the only other option during cohort block. This is NOT a study hall class. Students will have a home base teacher for cohort and will benefit from units in 3-week units from each teacher in a wheel rotation.
Unless stated otherwise, all assignments are due at the end of the cohort period. No exceptions (other than absense) will be made.
The assignments are structured to allow plenty of time for completion within the 90-minute class period.
GRADING: Students must score 70% or better over to earn a passing grade.This grade is computed as 100 points per class date.
Check-in participation will be incorporated into the score for the same week.
Week 4: Friday, September 27
Week 3: Friday, September 20
1. Watch the Video Below
3. Do the Worksheets (3 pages- Ms. Durkin will hand-out) Give thoughtful, thorough answers.
4. Watch the Video Below
Week 2: Friday, September 13
For the next three weeks we are going to talk about Digital Life
- the good and the ugly of the Internet and the devices we all use.
1. 20 pts. Assignment: How much do you use social media? Questionnaire
2. 20 pts. My Digital Life 3-part Worksheets
(2 pages) Teacher will hand-out to you
3. Read and Discuss "The Challenge"
2. 50 pts. Both Side of the Track Worksheets
(2 of them) Teacher will hand-out to you
3. Watch and Read Links
to use with above worksheets
1. 100 pts. You are going to write a 5-paragraph. Relax. Tell a Story.
2. Teacher will hand-out to you: Choose your subject from the Writing Prompts
3. Teacher will hand-out to you: Need a reminder on 5-paragraph essays? Click Here
4. Personal Narrative Rubric
Teacher will hand-out to you. Check it out.
5. TYPE your final Essay HERE
Week 1: Friday, September 6
What is the purpose of Cohort?
What will be doing?
Grading. Make-up work/Office hours.
WARNING: If you do not complete the Freshmen portion of CiS by the end of the school year, you will NOT pass this class and you will lose a valuable credit.