The following Calendar is applicable to ALL Media Design students at BHHS. For specific programs of study click on a software icon above.
Week 18: May 28- June 12 FINAL - worth 200 points.
Due Wed., June 12 Seniors: Due Thurs. June 6
Read the instructions below thoroughly before starting.
Do your final project in the program that you studied this semester. If you studied Illustrator, use Illustrator, etc. This assignment is actually a fairly typical request from a client, so take it seriously. Do NOT RUSH through the project. This culminating project is a demonstration of your range of abilities in the Adobe program you studied this semester.
Using only ALL 5 of the colors below, you are going to create something amazing.
You are going to do this without any assistance from me or anyone as this is a FINAL EXAM. Read the directions below carefully.
I don't understand why, but everyone seems to need a theme, so be it:
THE THEME IS: A WORLD UNITED
- Step 1: Create a New File, 1650 pixels x 2100 pixels, 150ppi.
- Step 2: Create the color swatches. (Make certain you are in RGB mode.) Use the RGB values below to get accurate swatches. Your color swatches must match these exactly.
- Your design must contain ONLY these colors, plus black and white. If you are using a photo, colorize it. Don't know how? Look it up! Check-out this VIDEO
- Hint: Have a message that you want to communicate. Content may contain any combination of type, graphics, textures, shapes, & photos. NO violence, no nudity, racism, politics, or memes. Really put some time and effort into this. It is obvious when computer work is rushed - and you will be scored accordingly. Use quality graphics, textures, and photos. Go to this page for links to quality, legal images sites.
- Hint: Use Layers and play with opacity of layers
- Hint: Use Blending Modes. Use Filters.
- Hint: Use different size brushes and different brush settings. Play with some of the unusual brushes
- Hint: Use parts of photos, drawings, objects, type
- Turn-in your project by EMAILING ME with YourFullName as the name of the file. For Photoshop users, .psd format ONLY with the layers intact. Do NOT flatten the layers. Make certain that your layers are properly labeled. For all other programs, turn-in your project in the program's native file format.
- The scoring on this assignment will be strict. READ the Rubric HERE.
These color swatches are from the Disney movie, Finding Nemo.
Week 17: May 20-24 GREEN BOY
Here's another assignment to help boost your grade.
This is pretty easy and straight forward. Create something in the Adobe program of your choice that incorporates THIS IMAGE
Final File Format=.jpg
Final image size: 8"x10", 150 ppi. File Name: YourFullName.jpg
Week 16: May 13-17 WEIGHTLESS
New project: DUE FRIDAY, JUNE 7
Using ALL 5 images at left, you must communicate: WEIGHTLESS.
You can use parts of an image (the bottom of the iceberg, for example), but each image must be recognizable in the finished artwork (for example: you cannot use a corner of the sky from the whale tail image). EXPERIMENT. Make sketches first! Do not settle on your first solution. Push yourself to excellence.
To start: open Photoshop or Illustrator and create a new document 9"x12", 150 ppi. Name the file as: YourFullName.psd Your final image must be saved as a multi-layer .psd or .ai file.
TURN-IN your .psd file by emailing it to me.
Get the flash drive from Ms. Durkin to download the images
Unzip the file with the images and open them in Photoshop (or Illustrator). Copy & Paste them into your new file and label the layers.
REQUIRED: BEFORE you get on the computer
, study each image for elements and colors and make as many concept sketches you can on the paper provided by Ms. Durkin. You will submit these sketches when you turn-in your completed project.Check out the best student submissions thus far.
You should know how to make composites in Photoshop by now. Don't know how to do composites? GO HERE
AND watch the Project 6 videos in ACA Test Prep
which you should have watched the last week of April!
- BEST WORK PRACTICES
- Use Layers and label each layer
- Work non-destructively, use adjustment layers and masks
- Use transparency
- Use selections
- Use blending modes
- Paint with brushes - add or subtract color
Week 15: May 6-10
ACA Certification is a MUST if you want a job in the creative industry! READ WHY. NOW is your chance to get the certification for free. ALL Classes Project. REQUIRED
. Worth 50 points. You may use the Adobe product of your choice: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Animate, or Character Builder. Your final project is due Friday, May 31 NO EXCEPTIONS.
To see some examples of what people have done, go HERE
The theme is "When We All Fall Asleep"
. Where do we go when we fall asleep? Is it possible for two people to share the same dream?
Requirements for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign projects: Canvas/Image size = 11x14 inches, 150dpi.
Week 14: April 29 - May 3
Need some extra credit? Or make-up for an assignment? CLICK HERE
, follow the directions, watch the video and produce a great portrait.
Week 13: April 22-26
Do the magazine cover this week. Continue to watch ACA videos. Show me your quiz scores and projects that you produce during the video.
What is your creative type? Take the Adobe Creativity Quiz HERE
and find out!
Week 12: April 15-19
ALL STUDENTS ASSIGNMENT
Completed Magazine Cover Due April 30th - no exceptions.
You should have watched Photoshop Unit 3 (the rock concert poster) and done the exercise by now. If not, watch it before you attempt this graphic design exercise.
You are going to design a magazine cover for a magazine that is all about you!
The size of the cover is 9x12 inches, 150ppi. File name= YourFullName.jpg
DO NOT FLATTEN LAYERS.WATCH THE VIDEO
, sketch ideas, collect images that represent your interests, do a Google search and look at magazine cover designs.
Then go into Photoshop- Here's one cool idea to add effects to your portrait.
USE LAYERS and create something that looks like a real magazine cover: add fake article names (of things that relate to you), Puplication Date, etc.
You MUST turn-in you sketches to me to receive a grade. Completed Magazine Cover Due April 30th - no exceptions.
Worth 50 Points. ASK FOR HELP if you need it! SCORING RUBRIC HERE
STUDY the magazine covers (Google Search) and make sketches! (REQUIRED).
Have someone take several photos of you with your cell phone and email yourself the best one. Take out the background so that you can add something creative.Step 3:
Add elements, text and titles to make it look like a real magazine cover. Use Layers!
Step 4: Let it sit for a day or two and revisit it - you should see some revisions that will improve your final design. When you are satisfied with your design, turn it in using the bear button at the top right of this page. DO NOT FLATTEN LAYERS.
Week 11: April 8-12 Start of 4th Quarter
: I want this to be a class that you look forward to. I WANT YOUR HONEST OPINION. Please fill out my latest SURVEY
. It is totally anonymous - there is no way that I can track who filled it out. UPDATE
on the Tony Hawk Skateboard Deck Contest
Week 10: April 1-5
Quickly optimize an image for social media with just a few clicks in Photoshop:adobe.ly/2WGQ5Bc
New Adobe Creative Challenge Contest. Win an Intuos Tablet. Check it out HERE.
Deadline is Tuesday, April 9th. Need Extra Credit? This is the way to get it.
Let your imagination fly!